Each month, Touro Law Center’s Alumni and Development Office recognizes one outstanding
alum for his or her contribution to the legal field, service to the law school,
or other outstanding achievement. If you would like to nominate a fellow alum, please
contact Jackie Doudu-Burbridge, Director of Alumni and Donor Relations at 631.761.7063
or via e-mail.
Touro Law Center's Office of Institutional Advancement is proud to announce that Howard Fried ’83 has been selected as the alum of the month for September 2013. He is a member of the Law Center’s Dean’s Alumni Advisory Council and participates in a number of the law center’s events and programs. His accomplished career highlighted in the bio below. On behalf of the entire law school community, we extend our congratulations to Howard.
Howard A. Fried is a shareholder in the New York office of Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney, Ltd., a national civil litigation firm with more than 150 attorneys. AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Mr. Fried represents global manufacturers and distributors in product liability and catastrophic tort lawsuits. Mr. Fried has extensive experience defending vehicular product liability claims involving restraint systems (seatbelts and airbags), suspension/steering systems, vehicle handling and stability, rollover and crashworthiness, and fuel systems for automotive, recreational, and off-road vehicles, and also personal watercraft. Mr. Fried’s defense team recently obtained summary judgment and dismissal of a $42 million-plus dollar odometer fraud case, a decision which provides a critical clarification of the scope of the Odometer Act that will protect motor vehicle manufacturers across the United States.
Integrating medical and bio-mechanical sciences with principles of engineering, Mr. Fried’s product liability practice also includes litigating claims related to industrial equipment, consumer products, medical devices, and pharmaceutical products. In addition, Mr. Fried has represented firearm manufacturers in litigation concerning negligent marketing and products liability.
Outside the product liability arena, Mr. Fried represents clients in the defense of a full array of general liability matters, including vehicular negligence, premises liability, construction accidents, and breach of warranty and lemon law claims, as well as against consumer claims involving Truth in Lending, and Fair Credit Reporting, to name just a few. He received his B.A. from the State University of New York at Albany and his J.D. from Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center. He was a member of the Student Bar Association while attending Touro Law and currently participates on the Law Center’s Dean’s Alumni Advisory Council.
Mr. Fried is a member of the New York State Bar; the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; and the U.S. District Court, for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York.
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- "Case Notes: Fast and Loose Service of Process and the Grave Impact of Failure to Comply," Segal McCambridge Singer & Mahoney's New York Advocate, Volume 1, Issue 1 (Spring 2007).
- Presentation: Spoliation of Evidence - “Can We Level the Playing Field” - Automotive Conference Institute, Chicago, IL. (June, 2011)
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Defense Research Institute Product Liability Advisory Council
- New York State Bar Association
- Member – New York City Community Board 8 (2002 – current)
- Past President – Jamaica Estates Association, 2010- 2012 (Civic Association)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
- Selected for inclusion in the New York Super Lawyers list (no more than 5% of lawyers in the state are selected), nominated and selected by peers in the legal community (2006-2011)
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the "The Best Lawyers in America" list (2010-2013)