Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive/Room 404
Central Islip, NY 11722
Telephone: (631) 761-7060
Fax: (631) 761-7069
Hours of Operation
Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Other hours by appointment
Alumni of the Month Program
Each month, Touro Law Center’s Alumni and Development Office recognizes one outstanding
alum for his or her contribution to the legal field, service to the law school,
or other outstanding achievement. If you would like to nominate a fellow alum, please
contact Kristin Matthews, Director of Development and Alumni Relations at 631.761.7063
or via e-mail.
Barry M. Smolowitz
Touro Law Center's Office of Development, Alumni Relations and Communications is proud to announce that Barry Smolowitz ’84 has been selected for the month of June. Mr. Smolowitz was an active member of the Touro community while attending law school and remains engaged through Touro Law Center’s Alumni Council and special event committees; as well as attending various alumni and student events throughout the years. He is also the first Touro graduate to lead a major Bar Association. His accomplished career is highlighted in the bio below. On behalf of the entire law school community, we extend our congratulations to Barry Smolowitz.
Barry M. Smolowitz has his own law practice in Kings Park, N.Y.
with an emphasis in criminal law, professional ethics, computer law, corporate law, education law and trial litigation. He is also an adjunct professor at Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
and Long Island University C.W. Post. He is founder and administrator of the Suffolk County Bar Association’s Research Center (ERC), is the Director of Technology for the Suffolk Bar Center
and is a past dean of the Suffolk Academy of Law. Before practicing law, he was a Police Officer with the New York City Police Department where he received nine medals for police bravery and was nominated as Officer of the Month.
Mr. Smolowitz is a CLE presenter, has appeared on local television business and technology programs, lectures extensively for bar associations throughout the state on both technology and ethics, and has co-authored the publication “Internet Guide for New Lawyers.” He is a two time-recipient of the Suffolk County Bar Association’s President Award (1994 & 2009), recipient of the Suffolk County Bar Association Award of Recognition (1996) and the recipient of the Suffolk County Bar Association’s Service Award (1999). Mr. Smolowitz is the first Touro Law graduate to lead a major Bar Association as president of the Suffolk County Bar Association from 2007-2008. As president of the Suffolk County Bar Association, Mr. Smolowitz led the effort to ensure that every Touro Law Center Student becomes a student member of the Suffolk County Bar Association. He is also a member of the New York State Bar Association and the New York City Police Department’s Honor Legion, and is founder and past president of the New York State Chapter of the Badge & Gavel Society. He is a member of Touro Law Center
’s Alumni Council and was the life director and founding vice president of the Alumni Association of Touro Law Center. While attending Touro, he was vice president of the Student Bar Association, an American Bar Association Representative and received the Scholastic Achievement Award for Exceptional contributions to the growth of the law school, Distinguished Service Award and Who’s Who Among American Law Students Award. He received his B.S. in Criminal Justice from John Jay College of Criminal Justice.
Mr. Smolowitz is admitted to practice in New York State
, United States
District Courts in both the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
, U.S. Supreme Court
, United States Court of Federal Claims, United States
Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the United States Court of Military Appeals. He is also a:
Alumni of the Month Archives
- Member of the New York State Grievance Committee
- Past President Director of the Suffolk County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association Nominating committee – alternate delegate
- Member of the Suffolk County Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee
- Member of the Suffolk County Bar Association nominating committee
- Member of the Office of Court Administration Pro-Bono Action Committee
- Chair of the SCBA House Committee
- Director – Nassau Suffolk Law Services
- Suffolk Academy of Law Trustee
- Suffolk County Pro-Bono Foundation Trustee
- Founder, Designer and Administrator of Electronic Research Center
- Administrator – Audio/Visual Equipment
- Director of Technology to the Suffolk County Bar Association
- Computer Training Coordinator of the Suffolk Academy of Law
- Participant – Attorneys Assistance Program
- Bench Bar Committee, Chair 2006-2007, Member 2000-2001; 2006-present
- Member – District Court Sitting Arbitrators Committee
- Member – Education Law Committee
- Member – Speaker’s Bureau
- Arbitrator – Suffolk County District Court; Small Claims Part