Touro Law Announces Inaugural Advisory Board for Jewish Law InstituteMay 25, 2016
Touro Law Center has formed the inaugural Advisory Board for the Jewish Law Institute. The Board is comprised of leading judges and lawyers from New York City and across the United States, who will provide guidance and support for the Jewish Law Institute.
Dean Patricia Salkin stated, “We are honored and gratified with the depth and breadth of experience of the members of this newly formed Board and look forward to their contributions as we continue to develop and implement programs and activities as part of our long-term strategic plan of exploring the relevance of the Jewish legal experience to American law, legal practice and legal scholarship.”
The Jewish Law Institute at Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center offers a scholarly and intellectual framework for the academic study of the Jewish legal experience. Under the direction of Professor Samuel J. Levine, the Institute acts as a center for the study and teaching of Jewish law throughout the United States, bringing together leading scholars, teachers, and lawyers, and serving as a clearinghouse for new ideas and independent research.
Dr. Alan Kadish, President of Touro College and University System stated, “Touro Law’s Jewish Law Institute is a significant institution studying the Jewish legal experience. I am confident that this inaugural Board of prominent individuals will help expand both the scope and reach of the Institute.”
The inaugural Jewish Law Institute Advisory Board currently includes:
- Sheldon S. Adler, Esq., Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Yehudah L. Buchweitz, Esq., Partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Harris Cogan, Esq., Partner, Blank Rome LLP
- Allen I. Fagin, Esq., Executive Vice President, Orthodox Union; Former Chairman, Proskauer Rose LLP
- Honorable Karen “Chaya” Friedman, Associate Judge, Circuit Court for Baltimore County
- Honorable Richard D. Fybel, Associate Justice, California Court of Appeal
- Honorable Mark A. Goldsmith, Judge, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Honorable Rick Haselton, Senior Judge, Oregon Court of Appeals
- Richard I. Janvey, Esq., Partner, Diamond McCarthy LLP
- Lawrence A. Kobrin, Esq., Senior Counsel, Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Honorable Louis H. Kornreich, United States Bankruptcy Judge (Retired); Of Counsel, Bernstein, Shur, Sawyer and Nelson, P.A.
- Barry E. Lichtenberg, Esq., Lichtenberg PLLC
- Honorable Kermit V. Lipez, United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- David Nimmer, Esq., Of Counsel, Irell & Manella LLP; Professor from Practice, UCLA School of Law
- Amanda H. Nussbaum, Esq., Partner, Proskauer Rose LLP
- David B. Rosenbaum, Esq. ’84, Senior Partner, Borah, Goldstein, Altschuler, Nahins & Goidel, P.C.
- Irving L. Rotter, Esq., Partner, Sidley Austin LLP
- David M. Zornow, Esq., Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
The primary goal of the Jewish Law Institute is to explore the relevance of the Jewish legal tradition to American legal scholarship and legal education. Toward that goal, the Institute offers courses in Jewish law and conducts special programs of research, publications, and lectures.
Reaching out to the broader community, the Jewish Law Institute assists other universities and law schools by advising professors who wish to teach courses in Jewish Law, and providing sample syllabi. The Institute is also closely involved in developing and expanding Touro Law Center’s permanent Judaica Collection, which serves as a vital resource for Rabbis, scholars, and the community at-large, as well as the Law Center’s Traveling Judaica Collection, which is loaned to law schools across the country that wish to offer courses or programs in Jewish law.
“We are honored to have the guidance and participation of these distinguished leaders of the legal profession, and I look forward to working with them as we continue to to develop and grow our Institute,” stated Professor Samuel J. Levine, Director of the Institute. He continued, “I look forward to the participation and involvement of the Board members and continuing to make a positive impact on the legal community.”
For additional information about the Jewish Law Institute, please contact Professor Samuel J. Levine at
Touro College Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center’s 185,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art law school is located adjacent to both a state and a federal courthouse in Central Islip, New York. Touro Law’s proximity to the courthouses, coupled with programming developed to integrate the courtroom into the classroom, provide a one-of-a kind learning model for law students, combining a rigorous curriculum taught by expert faculty with a practical courtroom experience. Touro Law, which has a student body of approximately 650 and an alumni base of more than 6,000, offers full- and part-time J.D. programs, several dual degree programs and graduate law programs for US and foreign law graduates. Touro Law Center is part of the Touro College system.
Touro Law’s newly implemented Portals to Practice is a cutting-edge, experiential learning program that reconceives and restructures the law school experience. Portals to Practice expands the scope and quality of legal education by focusing on the development of legal professionals, from pre-law through post-graduation.
About the Touro College and University System
Touro is a system of non-profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American and global community. Approximately 18,000 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has 29 branch campuses, locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem and Moscow. New York Medical College; Touro University California and its Nevada branch campus; Touro University Worldwide and its Touro College Los Angeles division; as well as Hebrew Theological College in Skokie, Ill. are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: http://www.touro.edu/news/
For more info contact:
Director of Communications
Fill out my online form.