New Scholarship Created for Latin American Law Student at Touro Law
Posted On April 8, 2014
Touro Law Center is pleased to announce the Luis Pagan Leadership Scholarship, has been endowed by t...
North Shore-LIJ Endows $200,000 Scholarship/Fellowship Fund at Touro Law Center
Posted On April 3, 2014
The North Shore-LIJ Health System’s Foundation and Law & Psychiatry Institute have establi...
Touro Law to Commemorate Holocaust Remembrance Day
Posted On April 2, 2014
Touro Law is pleased to announce that in honor of Yom Hashoah, Holocaust Remembrance Da...
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive/Room 301
Central Islip, NY 11722
Telephone: (631) 761-7010
Fax: (631) email@example.com Staff
George Justice, Asst. Dean for Admissions
Susan Thompson, Director of Enrollment
Angela Nowicke, Assistant
Marie Giani, Assistant
Pat Kothe, Clerk
Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training is temporary employment authorization that allows F-1 students to gain practical work experience (on- or off-campus) by applying their academic knowledge to a position directly related to their legal study. Students:
- Must have completed at least one full academic year of study. It is not necessary to have an employment offer prior to applying for Optional Practical Training.
- May not begin optional practical training until the date indicated on their Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-766.
- May submit an application for authorization to engage in optional practical training up to 90 days prior to being enrolled for one full academic year, provided that the period of employment will not begin until after the completion of the full academic year.
Students may be granted authorization to engage in temporary employment for optional practical training:
- While school is in session, provided that practical training does not exceed 20 hours a week
- After completion of the course of study. Optional practical training must be requested prior to the completion of all course requirements for the degree or prior to the completion of the course of study. A student must complete all practical training within a 14-month period following the completion study.
It is important to note that the total periods of authorization for optional practical training shall not exceed a maximum of twelve months. Part-time practical training, 20 hours per week or less, shall be deducted from the available practical training at one-half the full-time rate.
Forms and instructions for the application of Optional Practical Training are available at the International Student Office (Room 301).