Request Information
Fill out my online form.
please click to see full form
Contact Us
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive/Room 301
Central Islip, NY 11722
Telephone: (631) 761-7010
Fax: (631) 761-7019

George Justice, Asst. Dean for Admissions
Susan Thompson, Director of Enrollment
Angela Nowicke, Assistant
Marie Giani, Assistant

Financial Aid FAQs

What documents do I need to submit to apply for financial aid?

  • FAFSA-Touro College’s school coode is 010142
  • Touro Law Financial Aid Application
  • Unsubsidized Stafford/Grad Plus Loan Entrance Interview Confirmation
  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note
  • Grad Plus Loan Master Promissory Note
  • Copy of Driver’s License
  • Copy of signed social security card
  • Tax Returns (only if request after initial review by Financial Aid Office)
  • Citizenship Documentation (only if requested after initial review by Financial Aid Office)
I don’t know my Federal PIN. Can I get a new one?
You must have your Federal PIN available when completing the FAFSA and other documents online. If you do not know your PIN, go to http://www.pin.ed.gov/ to register for your initial PIN or to retrieve your existing PIN.

Do I need to submit my parents’ information on the FAFSA?
All law students are defined as “independent” for federal student aid. Parent information sis only needed on the FAFSA if you are under 26 years old and wish to be considered for a need-based Touro Grant.

When will I find out what my financial aid eligibility is?
Merit Scholarship eligibility is sent with the notifications of admission to the Law Center (no separate application required). Financial aid award letters are sent on a rolling basis, starting May 15, to newly admitted students who have submitted all of their financial aid application materials.

Returning students are notified of Merit Scholarship eligibility for the upcoming academic year once grades for the spring semester are posted (approximately July 1). Financial aid award notices are sent out in July after scholarship awards are determined.

What types of financial aid are available?
Touro Law Center administers both institutional and federal financial aid. Institutional financial aid may be merit-based scholarships or need-based grants. Federal aid programs include Federal Work Study and Federal Direct Loans.

What if my credit for the Graduate PLUS Loan is denied?
Students may contact the Financial Aid Office for advice on how to proceed. In the past, applicants have applied with a co-borrower (“endorser”) and/or they have corrected discrepancies in their credit report.

How do I decline some of the financial aid that has been offered?
Please send an email to the Financial Aid Office (Fin-aid@tourolaw.edu) indicating the award(s) and/or loan(s) you wish to reduce. Include your name, Touro ID number, the name of the award, and the amount of the award you are declining.

I was offered a scholarship/grant from an outside organization. Do I need to report it?
Students are required to notify the Financial Aid Office of any outside scholarships they expect to receive.  Receipt of other financial aid awards not listed on the award letter may result in an adjustment to your TLC aid and/or student loans. Please send an email to the Financial Aid Office (Fin-aid@tourolaw.edu) including your name, Touro ID number, the name of the organization, the name of the scholarship, the amount of the award, and the period it covers (for example, fall only or the entire academic year).

Am I allowed to work while in law school?
Yes, however, the number of hours any full-time law student may work is limited by the American Bar Association (ABA) guidelines. According to the ABA, full-time law students may not work more than 20 hours per week.

May I use financial aid and/or student loans to pay for off-campus housing and other personal educational expenses?
The budgeted cost of attendance includes an allocation for room, board, and other personal educational expenses. Financial aid and student loans will disburse at the beginning of each semester and will first pay for the charges on the student’s bursar account. Students who have a credit balance on their student bursar account will receive a refund from the Bursar’s Office to pay for their housing or other personal educational expenses.

When can I expect my refund from the Bursar’s Office?
Refund checks processing generally takes 5-7 business days after the financial aid and/or educational loans have disbursed.

When will my student loans disburse?
Loans will be disbursed just prior to the first day of classes. Early disbursements are not allowed, so please plan accordingly. All loans are multiply disbursed, half of the loan amount, minus applicable fees, will be disbursed at the beginning of the fall semester and half, minus fees, for the spring semester.

When will I receive a bill?
The Bursar’s Office pre-bills students approximately 4 weeks before each semester, with a payment due date of the first day of classes.

Can I receive financial aid in the summer?
Federal loans may be available to continuing law students who plan to enroll in classes during the summer. Students must be enrolled at least half time (4 credits for part-time students, 5 credits for full-time students), have a valid FAFSA on file, complete the Touro Law Center Summer Financial Aid Application, and have a valid promissory note. Summer loans can cover tuition and related educational/personal expenses for the period in which the student is enrolled in summer classes.

Can I defer my prior undergraduate loan payments while I’m in law school?
Most federal student loans qualify for an “in-school deferment” during periods in which matriculated students are at least half-time. Borrowers must always check with their loan servicer to ensure their enrollment status is correctly recorded and should continue to make payments until the servicer acknowledges and approves the in-school deferment. Touro College will report enrollment status to a national clearinghouse. In the meantime, borrowers are encouraged to complete and submit an in-school deferment request from their loan servicer.

I understand my unsubsidized loans and Graduate PLUS loans accrue interest while I’m in school, should I pay it while I’m in school or defer it until I graduate?

Payments can be deferred, or borrowers may elect to make interest-only or full payments throughout their enrollment. If you can afford to make payments while in school, your debt will be smaller when you graduate.

I would like to pay my loans off early, are there any pre-payment penalties?
There are no penalties for partial or complete pre-payment of federal student loans. The total cost of the loan will be smaller if a borrower takes less time to repay their student loans.
I would like to meet with a financial aid counselor, what are the business hours and how can I set up an appointment?
Contact the Financial Aid Office at 631-761-7020 or send an email (fin-aid@tourolaw.edu) to request a meeting. We are happy to meet with students during our regular business hours (Mon. & Thurs. 9:00am-6:30pm, Tues. & Wed. 9:00am-5:00pm, Fri. 9:00am-2:00pm)

Who is servicing my loans?
Go to National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS) at http://www.nslds.ed.gov/ to find out who is servicing your loans and their contact information.