Touro Law Receives $100K Grant for Immigration Law Clinic from the Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program
Posted On April 1, 2015
Touro Law Center is the recipient of a $100,000 grant from the Unitarian Universalist Veatch Program...
Additional Touro Law Student Named as 2015 New York City Bar Association Diversity Fellow
Posted On March 30, 2015
Touro Law Center Dean Patricia Salkin is pleased to announce that Jennifer Flores has been selected...
Touro Law Names New Director of Digital Legal Education
Posted On March 23, 2015
Dean Patricia Salkin is pleased to announce that Professor Jack Graves has been appointed Director o...
Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training is temporary employment authorization that allows F-1 students to gain practical work experience (on- or off-campus) by applying their academic knowledge to a position directly related to their legal study. Students:
- Must have completed at least one full academic year of study. It is not necessary to have an employment offer prior to applying for Optional Practical Training.
- May not begin optional practical training until the date indicated on their Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-766.
- May submit an application for authorization to engage in optional practical training up to 90 days prior to being enrolled for one full academic year, provided that the period of employment will not begin until after the completion of the full academic year.
Students may be granted authorization to engage in temporary employment for optional practical training:
- While school is in session, provided that practical training does not exceed 20 hours a week
- After completion of the course of study. Optional practical training must be requested prior to the completion of all course requirements for the degree or prior to the completion of the course of study. A student must complete all practical training within a 14-month period following the completion study.
It is important to note that the total periods of authorization for optional practical training shall not exceed a maximum of twelve months. Part-time practical training, 20 hours per week or less, shall be deducted from the available practical training at one-half the full-time rate.
Forms and instructions for the application of Optional Practical Training are available at the International Student Office (Room 301).