International Students

Q: Can international students attend Touro Law's JD program?
A: Yes. They must hold a U.S. bachelor's degree or equivalent, and they must take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT).

Q: What type of visa is necessary to study at the Law Center?
A: An F-1 Student Visa. To be eligible, you must submit an Affidavit of Support to demonstrate that you will have adequate financial resources for tuition and living expenses for at least the first year of your program of study at the Law Center.

Q: Is it possible to work in the United States?
A: Yes. F-1 Visa holders are permitted to work on campus (up to 20 hours per week) when suitable employment is available. After one year or upon completion of the degree requirements, graduates are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training – for up to a total of 12 months – in an area related to their field of study.

Q: Can international students take out loans to help finance their education?
A: Yes. Subject to certain restrictions, international students may be eligible for loans. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Q: Does the Law Center require the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
A: Candidates for the JD degree are not required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), since their success on the LSAT demonstrates language proficiency for graduate study. Applicants to the LLM in U.S. Legal Studies (for foreign law graduates) are required to take the TOEFL. A score approaching 240 in the computer-based total or 95 in the internet-based total is considered desirable.

Q: What are the requirements for admission to the LLM in U.S. Legal Studies?
A: Candidates must be graduates of a non-U.S. law school, with a program in residence at least equivalent to a bachelor's degree in law. They must also submit a TOEFL score from within the last three years.

Q: Does the LLM in U.S. Legal Studies make me eligible to sit for the Bar in New York?
A: The State Board of Law Examiners controls access to the New York Bar examination, and it determines which foreign law graduates will be eligible to take that exam and under what conditions. (Many foreign law graduates must complete about a year of study in U.S. law, and the LL.M. in U.S. Legal Studies is one of the means of satisfying that requirement.) All applicants are strongly advised to seek a determination in advance as to whether they will be permitted to sit for the bar after completing the LLM.

Request Information

Fill out my online form.