Professor Deseriee Kennedy Named Kermit Gitenstein Distinguished Professor of Health Law & Policy
Posted On August 28, 2014
Touro Law Dean Patricia Salkin is pleased to announce that Professor Deseriee Kennedy has been named...
Touro Law Center’s Jewish Law Institute to Host Distinguished Lecturer Rabbi Dr. Meir Y. Soloveichik
Posted On August 28, 2014
Touro Law Center’s Jewish Law Institute will host Rabbi Dr. Meir Y. Soloveichik as the Fall 20...
Touro Law Offers New Concentration in Solo & Small Practice Law
Posted On August 19, 2014
Touro Law Dean Patricia Salkin is pleased to announce a new concentration in Solo & Small Practi...
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive/Room 301
Central Islip, NY 11722
Telephone: (631) 761-7010
Fax: (631) firstname.lastname@example.org Staff
George Justice, Asst. Dean for Admissions
Susan Thompson, Director of Enrollment
Angela Nowicke, Assistant
Marie Giani, Assistant
Pat Kothe, Clerk
Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training is temporary employment authorization that allows F-1 students to gain practical work experience (on- or off-campus) by applying their academic knowledge to a position directly related to their legal study. Students:
- Must have completed at least one full academic year of study. It is not necessary to have an employment offer prior to applying for Optional Practical Training.
- May not begin optional practical training until the date indicated on their Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-766.
- May submit an application for authorization to engage in optional practical training up to 90 days prior to being enrolled for one full academic year, provided that the period of employment will not begin until after the completion of the full academic year.
Students may be granted authorization to engage in temporary employment for optional practical training:
- While school is in session, provided that practical training does not exceed 20 hours a week
- After completion of the course of study. Optional practical training must be requested prior to the completion of all course requirements for the degree or prior to the completion of the course of study. A student must complete all practical training within a 14-month period following the completion study.
It is important to note that the total periods of authorization for optional practical training shall not exceed a maximum of twelve months. Part-time practical training, 20 hours per week or less, shall be deducted from the available practical training at one-half the full-time rate.
Forms and instructions for the application of Optional Practical Training are available at the International Student Office (Room 301).