Financial Aid FAQs

How do I apply for financial aid?

Students are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. The FSA ID replaced the four digit PIN in May 2015. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents.

To apply for a FSA ID, visit If you already have a PIN, you can link your PIN to your new FSA ID so you will be able to use your username and password immediately.

1. Submit your FAFSA at

Submit your FAFSA with Touro College’s school code: 010142 (the Law School does not use a separate school code)

2. Review the Student Expenses Budget

Remember, you do not have to borrow the full amount. You are strongly encouraged to borrow only what you will need to meet your expenses.

3. Complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note(s)
  • Click on “Complete MPN” and select the type of loan you wish to borrow. A separate MPN is required if borrowing both the unsubsidized Stafford and Graduae PLUS loan.
  • Click on “Entrance Counseling” and choose the option to complete Entrance Counseling as a Graduate/Professional Student.  Entrance Counseling is required if this is the first time you are borrowing through Touro Law Center.

4. Complete Graduate PLUS Loan Request Form

Submit the form to Financial Aid Office via e-mail (, fax (631-761-7029) or mail.

5. Review and accept your financial aid awards

Students will be notified by email once the financial aid package is ready for review.

Do I need to submit my parents’ information on the FAFSA?
All law students are defined as “independent” for federal student aid. Therefore, no parent information is required.

When will I find out what my financial aid eligibility is?
Merit Scholarship eligibility is sent with the notifications of admission to the Law Center (no separate application required). 

Returning students are notified of Merit Scholarship eligibility for the upcoming academic year once grades for the spring semester are posted (approximately July 1). Financial aid awards can be viewed on the Touro College self-service system at

What types of financial aid are available?
Touro Law Center administers both institutional and federal financial aid. Institutional financial aid may be merit-based scholarships or need-based grants. Federal aid programs include Federal Work Study and Federal Direct Loans.

What if my credit for the Graduate PLUS Loan is denied?
Students may contact the Financial Aid Office for advice on how to proceed. In the past, applicants have applied with a co-borrower (“endorser”) and/or they have corrected discrepancies in their credit report.

How do I decline some of the financial aid that has been offered?
You can accept or decline your financial aid awards on the Touro College self-service system at

I was offered a scholarship/grant from an outside organization. Do I need to report it?
Students are required to notify the Financial Aid Office of any outside scholarships they expect to receive.  Receipt of other financial aid awards not listed on the award letter may result in an adjustment to your TLC aid and/or student loans. Please send an email to the Financial Aid Office ( including your name, Touro ID number, the name of the organization, the name of the scholarship, the amount of the award, and the period it covers (for example, fall only or the entire academic year).

Am I allowed to work while in law school?
Yes, however, the number of hours any full-time law student may work is limited to no more than 20 hours per week.

May I use financial aid and/or student loans to pay for off-campus housing and other personal educational expenses?
The budgeted cost of attendance includes an allocation for room, board, and other personal educational expenses. Financial aid and student loans will disburse at the beginning of each semester and will first pay for the charges on the student’s bursar account. Students who have a credit balance on their student bursar account will receive a refund from the Bursar’s Office to pay for their housing or other personal educational expenses.

When can I expect my refund from the Bursar’s Office?
Refunds for expenses other than tuition and fees are issued within 14 days of the credit balance. To expedite receipt of your refund, sign up for one of the electronic options at
When will my student loans disburse?
Loans will be disbursed just prior to the first day of classes. Early disbursements are not allowed, so please plan accordingly. All loans are multiply disbursed, half of the loan amount, minus applicable fees, will be disbursed at the beginning of the fall semester and half, minus fees, for the spring semester.

When will I receive a bill?
The TouroOne portal ( Touro College's means of providing 24 hour access to E-bills and making payments online. Tuition is due by the first day of classes unless covered by anticipated financial aid. Questions regarding tuition billing and payments  - contact Bursar's office at (631) 761-7026.
Can I receive financial aid in the summer?
Federal loans may be available to continuing law students who plan to enroll in classes during the summer. Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 credits), have a valid FAFSA on file, complete the Touro Law Center Summer Financial Aid Application, and have a valid promissory note. Summer loans can cover tuition and related educational/personal expenses for the period in which the student is enrolled in summer classes.

Can I defer my prior undergraduate loan payments while I’m in law school?
Most federal student loans qualify for an “in-school deferment” during periods in which matriculated students are at least half-time. Borrowers must always check with their loan servicer to ensure their enrollment status is correctly recorded and should continue to make payments until the servicer acknowledges and approves the in-school deferment. Touro College will report enrollment status to a national clearinghouse. In the meantime, borrowers are encouraged to complete and submit an in-school deferment request from their loan servicer.

I understand my unsubsidized loans and Graduate PLUS loans accrue interest while I’m in school, should I pay it while I’m in school or defer it until I graduate?

Payments can be deferred, or borrowers may elect to make interest-only or full payments throughout their enrollment. If you can afford to make payments while in school, your debt will be smaller when you graduate.

I would like to pay my loans off early, are there any pre-payment penalties?
There are no penalties for partial or complete pre-payment of federal student loans. The total cost of the loan will be smaller if a borrower takes less time to repay their student loans.
I would like to meet with a financial aid counselor, what are the business hours and how can I set up an appointment?
Contact the Financial Aid Office at 631-761-7020 or send an email ( to request a meeting. We are happy to meet with students during our regular business hours (Mon. & Thurs. 9:30am-6:30pm, Tues. & Wed. 9:00am-5:30pm, Fri. 9:00am-2:30pm)

Who is servicing my loans?
Go to National Student Loan Database System (NSLDS) at to find out who is servicing your loans and their contact information.


Request Information

Fill out my online form.