In the Community
As part of its mission to serve the community at large, the Jewish Law Institute has partnered with schools, synagogues, and other Jewish organizations, playing a leading role in educational and communal program.
- The Institute has hosted visitors from Hadassah and the North Shore Jewish Center for tours of the Judaica Collection and study sessions on Jewish law with Samuel J. Levine, Professor of Law and Director of the Jewish Law Institute.
- The Institute hosted the inaugural meetings of the newly-formed ELIJA (Eastern Long Island Jewish Alliance), comprised of leaders of dozens of synagogues, schools, and Jewish communal organizations.
- The Institute hosted the annual Yom Limmud (Day of Jewish Learning) for the Suffolk County Board of Rabbis. Professor Levine led a discussion on “Confidentiality in Jewish Law and American Law.”
- The Institute partnered with the Jewish Academy of Suffolk County to conduct a Moot Court program for students in the 6th and 7th grades. In preparing for the middle school students for the Moot Court, Professor Levine and students from Touro’s Jewish Law Students Association taught about the workings of the American legal system, including similarities and differences between American law and Jewish law.
- Professor Levine regularly presents lectures on Jewish law and American law at synagogues, universities, Jewish day schools, and various other settings.
Fill out my online form.