Continuing Legal Education (CLE)
ABOUT CLE PROGRAMS
A credit hour is a 50-minute period of instruction. All attorneys must maintain on file for a period of four years the certificates substantiating the number of CLE credits reported on their biennial registration statements. If you have any questions, contact the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board at
New York attorneys in practice beyond the first two years after admission to the New York bar must earn 24 credit hours per two-year biennial registration cycle with:
- At least four of these credit hours in the area of ethics and professionalism;
- Up to six credit hours over and above the requisite number of hours carried over from one registration cycle to the next. Veteran attorneys may obtain their CLE credits in “alternative” or non-live formats, such as audiotapes, videotapes, online learning and other similar formats.
New York attorneys admitted less than 24 months are required to complete 32 credit hours during the first two years after admission as follows:
- Three credit hours per year in ethics for a total of six;
- Six credit hours per year in skills for a total of 12,
- Seven credit hours per year in practice management and/or professional practice for a total of 14.
Newly-admitted attorneys shall fulfill their continuing legal education requirement by taking accredited transitional continuing legal education courses or programs in traditional live classroom settings or through attendance at fully interactive videoconferences if the videoconference technology has been separately approved by the CLE Board for use by newly admitted attorneys.
Occasionally, other states with mandatory continuing legal education requirements will give CLE credit to an attorney admitted to practice in that state for attendance at a CLE course offered by Touro Law Center. In order for such credit to be granted, the state in question must accredit the course on a sui generis basis. It is the responsibility of the attorney seeking credit from another jurisdiction to obtain such accreditation.
Asst. Director of Alumni and Continuing Education
Department of Continuing Legal Education
Touro Law Center
225 Eastview Drive
Central Islip, NY 11722
Fax: (631) 761-7109